Here’s what’s on our radar for the last weekend of July and first few days of August:
- Margot is excited to dig into Scraps, Wilt & Weeds, a cookbook by a NOMA founder and a chef about using wasted edibles—coffee grounds (for flavoring ice cream), carrot tops (for pesto), overripe pears (for sauce). “There’s also a section on foraging, which is right up my alley,” she reports.
- To be filed under Easy Desserts with Fancy Names: Annie is planning on making the It Dessert of the summer (with fresh-picked Maine blueberries).
- Sleeping under the stars: an Icelandic hotel that’s one with nature.
- Options for a last-minute summer vacation.
- Four recipes for summer produce from LA’s botanical-forward new restaurant.
- How to install a screen door for the perfect screen-door slam.
- Over on Remodelista: how a houseplant solved a design challenge in an LA rental.
- This week’s most popular: 10 Garden Ideas to Steal from Chinese Feng Shui Masters.
- Don’t forget: only a few more days to cast your vote for your favorite project in our Considered Design Awards.
We want to see your porches, patios, hammocks, and outdoor showers: Use the hashtag #GDsummerhouse on Instagram and tag @gardenista_sourcebook for a chance to be featured in our feed.
More of our recent obsessions:
- Current Obsessions: Secret Gardens
- Current Obsessions: Picnic Season
- Current Obsessions: Summer Still Life