If you want to get technical, the reason a classic picnic table looks the way it does—with splayed legs and cross braces— is because the original was designed to support the weight of attached benches.
We like the splayed look but prefer to have the freedom to pull up benches or chairs as needed. (In the case of a true picnic, we will be sitting on the grass anyway.)
Here are 10 of our favorite picnic-style tables.
Are you designing an outdoor dining or cooking area? For tips and inspiration, see our curated guides to Decks & Patios 101 and Outdoor Kitchens 101. For more of our furnishings, see:
- 10 Easy Pieces: Folding Tables for the Garden
- Ikea: New Patio Furniture for Summer
- The New Gravel Backyard: 10 Inspiring Landscape Designs
- Object of Desire: Cafe Furniture with Curve Appeal
- 10 Easy Pieces: Folding Bamboo Benches
Have a Question or Comment About This Post?Join the conversation