On the eve of Halloween, the Gardenista editors are taking note of garden ideas for Halloween and a can’t-miss evening in New York with Piet Oudolf. Here’s a look:
- Bay Area readers: Catch Michelle at the Marin Art & Garden Center at 5 p.m. on Monday, October 30 for a conversation about Private Gardens of the Bay Area. Get your tickets now.
- Margot is closely following this Dutch artist’s delicate, whimsical flower mobiles via her Instagram feed, @annetendonkelaar.
- New York’s High Line is helping the honey bees: As part of a year-long program, the abandoned-railway-turned-park will cultivate rooftop beehives; raw honey from the bees will be available for purchase next summer.
- Also via the High Line: Join Piet Oudolf, the renowned Dutch landscape designer behind the park’s plantings, and photographer Rick Darke for a panel on the future of horticulture on Monday, November 6 in New York. More info here.
- Now trending: Before & After: A 1940s-Suburban House Grows Up Gracefully in Mill Valley, CA.
- A garden DIY for Halloween: Grow water-loving like “Marimo moss balls, water lettuce, and water hyacinth in beautiful jars and glass vessels. The roots wafting down into the water look slightly spooky.” See more dark and eerie decor ideas from a Portland blogger over on Remodelista.
Recently in Obsessions: