This week we’ve been poring over apartment gardens (and houseplants). On our radar this weekend: flower workshops, recipes for early spring blooms, and a big appointment for a favorite Gardenista baker. Read on.
- This just in: Claire Ptak, owner of Violet bakery in London, was chosen to make the wedding cake for Prince Harry and Meghan Markle. (Read our 2015 interview with Claire here.)
- Attention, Bay Area readers: Jason Dewees will discuss his new book, Designing with Palms, at the Outdoor Art Club in Mill Valley at 1 p.m on Thursday. More info here (and read more about the book in our Required Reading post).
- A contender for Fan’s next vacation: a Trappist abbey in South Carolina where the monks grow mushrooms.
- A May flower workshop to look forward to at Cook Space in Brooklyn—and to remind us that spring will reveal itself. (See our design ideas to steal from the culinary workshop at The Effortlessly Cool Chef’s Apartment, over on Remodelista.)
- Margot (our resident botanical arranger) is following @reikan_creations on Instagram, for his surprisingly realistic insects made of found buds, pine needles, and ice.
- Lavender shortbread with spring blooms.
- Create the ultimate outdoor living space for spring (and summer) with this giveaway, from Bob Vila. Enter now through March 31.
- Over on Remodelista: budget, completely reversible hacks for the rental apartment.
- How to throw a dinner party in a small space.
- Plus, a new way to get your daily Gardenista fix: Follow us on Flipboard, for magazines including DIY Garden Ideas, Organic Gardening, and Garden Tech.
Recently in Obsessions: