First things first: Consider this your guide to all things floral and edible at the royal wedding (plus, more to do and read this weekend). Read on.
First, a primer on the pertinent details for this morning’s royal wedding:
- What’s in the cake (with plenty of lemon and elderflower).
- The flowers, with “wild and loose” peonies and foxgloves, plus wildflowers and cuttings from the Royal Parks.
- The unassuming little flower all royal brides carry in their bouquets.
- How to re-create the look: tips for royal wedding flowers.
- The night-before hotels, for Harry and Meghan.
- On the tables: simple bowls. (See Remodelista’s post on the trend here.)
And in other news:
- The Chelsea Flower Show starts on Tuesday; see our posts on what to watch, plus a behind-the-scenes look.
- Join contributor (and houseplant expert) Jane Perrone for a walk through the Temperate House at Kew Gardens via the latest episode of her “On the Ledge” podcast.
- On our reading list: Gardenista contributor Sarah Horowitz’s new book about collectible midcentury dish towels, available for preorder.
- A new use for houseplants?
- This weekend in LA: Earth Tones, in celebration of botanicals, tinctures, and natural dyes.
- Think ahead: It might seem a little early to be thinking about placing your fall bulb order, but not if you want to plant the rarest tulips and fragrant heirloom peonies. Old House Gardens is taking orders now for autumn shipments.
- Strategies for successful decluttering.
- Eight red flags to look for if you’re buying a house.
- And, the end of an era: remembering Beth Chatto. (See our posts on her gravel gardens and “right plant, right place” philosophy here, here, and here.)
Two plant swaps today:
- Southgate, Michigan: The News-Herald’s 14th annual Spring Plant Swap from 9 to 10:30 a.m. in the newspaper’s parking lot at One Heritage Place in Southgate.
- Montpelier, Vermont: a plant swap from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Vermont Center for Integrated Herbalism.
(Have a plant swap to share? Let us know in the comments.)
Recently in Obsessions:
- Current Obsessions: Mother Nature
- Current Obsessions: The Cutting Garden
- Current Obsessions: April Showers, May Flowers