Staying in the city this weekend? Here are a few ways to escape and stay cool—plus more, on our radar.
- There’s only one week left to enter the Gardenista Considered Design Awards, for a chance to win a $500 gift card to Schoolhouse and a feature on Gardenista. Take a look at this year’s submissions here, then get your photos ready and enter. (Have an interiors or organization project? Enter on Remodelista or The Organized Home.)
- Have you read Michelle’s story about the latest interior design trend—call it houseplant haute—in the Wall Street Journal?
- Annie is stopping into some of New York’s hidden pocket gardens this weekend, starting with Saint Luke in the Fields, with ivy-covered walls, hundred-year-old trees, and climbing roses, all tucked away on Hudson Street.
- In the news: lawn-mowing Samaritans.
- Michelle’s weekend read: a beach book for gardeners. (And fans of Penelope Lively.)
- Staying in the city? Consider an urban hike. For New Yorkers, head to Williamsburg’s new waterside park, this hidden forest, or take our Brooklyn Bridge Park walk. In San Francisco, meander through this eucalyptus forest—the city’s best-kept secret. And in Paris, a walk best taken at sunset.
And, upcoming plant swaps around the world:
- June 16 in Omaha, NE.
- June 21 in Chicago, IL: Queer Plant Swap.
- June 21 in Hillsborough, NC: Backyard Butterflies Open House & Plant Swap.
- June 23 in Metz, France.
(Stopping in? Share your finds with us on Instagram by tagging #gardenista and #gdplantswap.)
Recently in Obsessions: