This weekend we’re wrapping up our Flemish Gardens issue. Up next? Our week on Postage-Stamp Gardens. For now, here’s what’s on our list for the weekend.
- The Gardenista Considered Design Awards are officially open to weekend gardeners, landscape architects, houseplant obsessives, garden-to-table growers, and everyone in between. Enter by tomorrow (June 10) and your project may be featured in an upcoming Gardenista post. (Have an interiors or organization project to submit? See the categories on Remodelista and The Organized Home.)
- Annie has long wanted to check out Swale NYC, a “floating food forest” on a mobile barge, where all the edible plants—from blackberries to peppermint to wild leeks to kiwi and hops (see the full list here)—are available for free. This weekend Swale also is hosting a series of free workshops, including a look at medicinal plants growing wild in the city.
- Speaking of mobile gardens, file this under: Only In Japan.
- Latest cookbook wish: Aska, by a Swedish chef with a garden-to-table (and Michelin-starred) Brooklyn restaurant.
- The greenest hotel we’ve seen: Margot let us know about the 60-story vertical garden on the facade of this hotel in Singapore (just named as the “Best Tall Building Worldwide” by the Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat).
- Just opened: a new, waterside Brooklyn park in Williamsburg, from a landscape architecture firm that also worked on the High Line.
- Next Saturday, June 16: a signing of Erica Tanov’s new book, Design by Nature, plus a fern sale (and rosé), at Flowerland in Albany, California, 3 to 5 p.m.
- You might be recycling wrong.
- What herbs are you growing for summer? Chime in.
- Today, June 9, in Brussels: a plant swap and terrarium workshops at @lepharedukanaal. More info here.
- Today in Gig Harbor, Washington.
- Today in Winnipeg, Canada.
- Today at the New York Public Library, main branch, in Manhattan.
- Tomorrow, June 10, in Great Falls, Massachusetts. (Plant swap at 11 a.m.)
- Plus, get your tickets now for Plant Swap NYC 2018 on July 15 (before they sell out).
Recently in Obsessions:
Have a Question or Comment About This Post?Join the conversation