What we’re up to and admiring this weekend, the unofficial kick-off to summer. (Plus: the last days to enter our giveaway, and the launch of the 2018 Considered Design Awards.) Here’s your weekend reading.
- Get your submissions ready: The Gardenista Considered Design Awards launch next Friday, June 1, and are open to amateurs, professionals, homeowners, renters, architects, DIYers, interior designers, and contractors. Read more here. (Have a garden or organization project to submit? See all the categories on Gardenista, Remodelista and The Organized Home.)
- And, tell us your favorite detail in this spring kitchen for a chance to win $20,000 from Remodelista, plus $5,000 to use toward tile from Fireclay Tile. (Hurry: Submissions end May 31.)
- Margot is continuing her Memorial Day weekend tradition of visiting the walled Persian garden at Untermyer Gardens in Yonkers, New York, “a way of taking an exotic journey without leaving town,” she says. “It’s a vast, ongoing restoration project that’s being spearheaded by architect Stephen Byrns, a neighbor friend, so I’m excited to see the latest unveiling.”
- Meredith is heading to Spokane, Washington for the weekend. On her agenda: a bike ride by the Little Spokane River, shopping for farm-fresh produce at Green Bluff Growers, a bonfire, and “several barbecues.”
- Now at Howe at 36 Bourne St., London: a Frida Kahlo–inspired window display with botanicals and oversized paper flowers, all by textile artist Lora Avedian as part of this year’s Belgravia in Bloom installations. (See the full slate of upcoming events here.)
- A practically free, DIY storage tool, found and foraged edition.
- Eight documents to save after buying a house.
- And, the simple, revolutionary cleaning tool you need (but have never heard of). Bonus: It’s eco-friendly.
Plus, a few upcoming plant swaps going on around the world this weekend:
- Tomorrow in Belgium.
- Tomorrow at Klokke in Mannheim, Germany.
- Tomorrow in Booragoon (a suburb of Perth, Australia): a plant swap hosted by Feld & Co.
- Tuesday in Chicago: a Houseplant Social hosted by Chicago Damn Fine Coffee Bar and hosted by Plant Shop Chicago. It’s at 3317 Armitage, 6 to 8:30 p.m.
- Next Friday, June 1, in Portland, Oregon, at jewelry/clothing shop Haunt. (The organizer brings homemade refreshments.)
Have a lead on an upcoming plant swap? Let us know in the comments.
Recently in Obsessions:
- Current Obsessions: Royal Wedding
- Current Obsessions: Mother Nature
- Current Obsessions: The Cutting Garden
You need to login or register to view and manage your bookmarks.
Have a Question or Comment About This Post?Join the conversation