Courtyard gardens, enclosed on all sides by walls or fences, can transform a cramped space into an oasis. They preserve privacy while welcoming sunlight. They make even the smallest home feel larger. We’ve collected 10 of our favorites.
For more of this garden, see Before & After: From ‘Fishbowl’ Townhouse Garden to Private Oasis.
For more, see 10 Garden Ideas to Steal from London.
A Touch of Red
Recycled & Renewed
Recycled bricks and stones found on the property during the remodel pave the garden and edge the garden beds. For more of this project, see Before & After: A Garden Duplex in a Historic Chelsea Townhouse.
- A Secret Courtyard Garden in Piccadilly, Ancient Tree Ferns Included.
- LA Confidential: A Private Courtyard Garden Goes Luxe on a Budget.
- Water’s Edge: A Saltwater Courtyard Garden on Bainbridge Island.
- Steal This Look: Garden Courtyard at Shed in Healdsburg, CA.
- A Jewel Box Townhouse Garden in SF