In winter, the distractions disappear. We can see the bones of the garden, to take stock—and take action. Join us for a week of hardscape and landscape ideas:
Above: Coming tomorrow—tips from garden designer Maria Dremo Sundstrom on how to create a garden that looks as lovely in winter as in any other season. Meanwhile, browse our image gallery of Outdoor Gardens.
- In this week’s Studio Visit, photographer India Hobson travels to Worcestershire, England to find florist India Hurst at home in the “tumbling old glasshouses” that have been in the family for decades.
- This month. we’re oiling and cleaning and sharpening our garden tools—and coveting a new pair of handmade Japanese clippers. Read about our new crush (and the company that has been manufacturing them for four generations) in this week’s Hand Tools post.
- In this week’s Garden Visit, designer Maria Dremo Sundstroms takes us on a winter tour of her garden in southern Sweden.
- Roll it out like a rug to grow an instant crop. In this week’s Edible Gardens post, Gillian reports on a new generation of weed barrier fabric impregnated with a mix of seed and soil.
- In this week’s Required Reading post, Meredith learns how to grow medicinal herbs (and how to transform them into potent health potions).
- Architecture to the rescue. Meredith discovers a fire-destroyed farmhouse transformed into an open air garage in Outbuilding of the Week.