They say every garden should have a water feature. Ponds count. So does a beach, if it’s visible from at least one window. Join us this week as we explore the benefits of the life aquatic: the crunch of seashell driveways, the 10 best perennials for a seaside garden, an upstate New York summer house with a very special pond, and the mysteries revealed by one old irrigation system in the South of France.
- In this week’s Landscape Architect Visit, Kendra heads to the South of France to visit a garden where an old irrigation system called the “noria” is behind the name of the garden. It has been supplemented by modern rills and pools.
- No, we have yet to see it all when it comes to designing succulents. Jeanne discovers a new technique in this week’s Shopper’s Diary.
- It’s no secret that Michelle, obsessed with chemistry sets since childhood, favors an interior design style best described as “Early Beaker and Flask.” This week she reveals her favorite sources for labware vases in our 10 Easy Pieces.
- Seashell driveway? You know you want one. Janet makes it easy in this week’s Hardscaping 101.
- Wondering which flowers will thrive in your seaside garden? Justine has some suggestions in this 10 Easy Pieces. Photograph by Justine Hand for Gardenista.
And check out the Life Aquatic over on Remodelista, where the editors are slathering on sunscreen and heading to the beach this week.