Own it. It’s your outdoor space and you can do whatever you want with it–all summer long. This week, we’ll share a few of our favorite DIY landscaping hacks, including ideas to steal from New York City gardens, design tricks for raised beds, and 10 stylish ways to fix up a backyard on a budget. Join us:
Above: Michelle’s next-door neighbor built plant shelves for her tiny terrace using cinder blocks and planks from the hardware store. See more of her garden in Garden Visit: The Hobbit Land Next Door.
Gardenista Considered Design Awards 2015
- We’re thrilled to announce our annual Gardenista Considered Design Awards is underway. The competition is open to all readers–professionals and amateur gardeners alike–so submit your garden or outdoor space today (details here).
- Get inspired by last year’s winners at 2014 Gardenista Considered Design Awards Winners.
- Would you like a little help designing this summer’s kitchen garden? We find inspiration in Dan and Dana Brewster’s edible garden in Little Compton, Rhode Island in this week’s Garden Visit.
- Alexa embarks on Landscaping On A Budget and discovers 10 stylish ways to fix up a garden fast in this week’s Roundup post.
- DIY vertical garden: Meredith discovers simple brass planters that look good on any wall in this week’s Shopper’s Diary.
- “Cities need plants, and just because would-be gardeners live stacked on top of each other in the city of 8.3 million does not mean that they have given up on green,” says Marie. She has 11 Garden Ideas to Steal from city gardens, guaranteed to bring botanical beauty to even “a challengingly small outdoor space.”
- In this week’s Garden Tech post, Dalilah reviews a new garden design app that allows you to design an outdoor space by yourself–or upload photos of your garden to purchase a personalized landscape design from a top designer (at a significant discount).
- Meanwhile, you can ID plants and leaves with our Garden Tech Apps (and help Gardenista readers ID their plants in the comments section of our recent post).
- Michelle is seriously considering moving to a tiny portable house (or at least spending the summer there) in this week’s Outbuilding of the Week post.
Over at Remodelista, Julie and the editors are spending the week freshening up summer vacation homes. See their best ideas here.