Do you peek over fences? Do you wonder what’s behind a garden gate? This week we’ll satisfy your curiosity (and ours) by exploring secret gardens. We’ll explain the curb appeal of ivy-covered walls, visit a hidden garden enclave in Warsaw, and solve a marijuana mystery.
Above: What’s behind the green door? See Celia’s Garden: At Home with an English Artist and Her Chickens. Photograph by Jim Powell for Gardenista.
- Actor Patrick Dempsey (McDreamy to Grey’s Anatomy fans) lives in Malibu in a house designed in the late 1960s by Frank Gehry, with a 21st century garden by designer Scott Schrader. See the Before & After garden in this week’s Designer Visit.
- Are faux plants fake? Michelle says no; in this week’s 10 Easy Pieces she takes a stand in support of faux plants that are eerily lifelike (except they never die).
- Walls of live green plants banish winter blues. In this week’s Roundup, we’ve found 13 vertical wall gardens that bring the garden indoors.
- Grow your own? Four states have decriminalized the use of recreational marijuana; nine states (plus Guam) have legalized medicinal marijuana. What is the best kind of marijuana plant to grow at home (indoors or out)? Learn everything you wanted to know about growing marijuana in this week’s plant Growing Guide.
- Are you planning to install or replace a fence this spring? We’ll be dishing out fence facts in this week’s Hardscaping 101.
- A glass extension on a stone farmhouse in the Belgian countryside looks magical in a snowstorm. See more in our Outbuilding of the Week post.