Bob Vila is America’s best-known handyman. His career began with a design and remodeling business before he became the original host of the PBS television show This Old House. He went on to star in three more DIY television shows, teaching Americans how to improve their homes themselves. Bob is the author of 12 books, including Bob Vila’s Toolbox, now available as an app on the iTunes store. Today, Bob’s advice lives online at BobVila.com, which hosts his complete TV library plus original how-to articles and idea galleries.
Over the past five years, Bob has spent a great deal of time in Cuba, his parents’ homeland. There he’s helping to renovate Finca Vigía, Ernest Hemingway’s home near Havana, which is now a museum, and to conserve the writer’s books and other collections.
Above: Bob Vila is judging our Best Garden Shed or Outbuilding category.
8 Things to Know About Bob:
- Cities I’ve Lived In: Miami, Havana, Panama City, Berlin, Boston, and New York.
- Favorite Work of Architecture: I don’t have one favorite. Some of my favorite styles are American Shingle style, Mediterranean style, and anything by Addison Mizner.
- First Home Improvement Project: When I was 5 or 6, I helped my pop mix concrete.
- Last DIY Project in My Home: I’m working on my driveway, getting rid of broken asphalt and filling it with concrete.
- Favorite Houseplant: The Oncidium orchid, also known as the Dancing Lady.
- Last Thing I Planted in My Garden: Mint.
- On My Wish List for My Garden: I’m hoping for good tomatoes. Last year’s crop wasn’t good. This year I would like some hearty beefsteak tomatoes.
- Favorite Place to Be in Nature: The beach.
For more, follow Bob on Twitter, Facebook, and Pinterest, and find help for your home on BobVila.com.
Have a Question or Comment About This Post?Join the conversation