A container garden on wheels is something every outdoor space deserves. When our new Gardenista book was in the brainstorming phase and we came up with an idea for 10 DIY projects to create an instant room on a tiny balcony, deck, or patio, guess which was our editors’ favorite?
The DIY container garden on wheels won hands down. Here are step-by-step instructions to make your own (and don’t forget to scroll down to see what the finish DIY outdoor room looks like in our book.)
Photography by Matthew Williams for Gardenista.
Container Garden on Wheels
What You Need:
- A 36-by-12-inch cedar planter (ours came from Chelsea Garden Center)
- Exterior paint in a high-gloss finish
- Paint roller, brush, and tray
- Power drill
- Four 3-inch swivel casters
- 16 wood screws
- River rocks
- Potting soil
- Plants of your choice
Paint the Planter Box
Drill Holes for Wheels
Soil and Rocks
Instant Outdoor Room
N.B.: See more irresistible container gardens at:
- Sarah Raven’s 7 Tips for Perfect Flower Pots.
- Mints: 9 Favorites for a Cook’s Container Garden.
- Container Gardening 101 with Molly Garrett of Field + Canvas.