Description from Seedaholic
Cuckoo Flower, Ladys flower, Ladys smock, Wildflower of Britain and Ireland
Cardamine pratensis is one of the most beautiful and one of the best loved of our wild flowers. It bears long narrow leaves and supremely elegant flowers in late spring/early summer. It flowers at the time the first cuckoo starts to call.
They flower two or three to each stem, in white or with pink tomes.
The Cuckoo Flower, sometimes spelt Cuckooflower, can be found in moist or wet habitats, including meadows, damp grasslands, roadsides, ditches and river banks. It is part of the Brassicaceae family and is native throughout most of Europe and western Asia.
In garden situations the plant can play a role in spring flowering lawns on heavy soils when a regular cutting programme is carried out after flowering or can be established in a range of wet grasslands, including sites waterlogged in the winter.
The Cuckoo Flower is noted for attracting wildlife. The flower is an important larval host plant and nectar source for the Orange-Tip and Green-Veined White butterflies, It makes a valuable addition to any garden which aims at attracting wildlife.
- Packet Size 55mg
- Average Seed Count 100 Seeds
- Family Brassicaceae
- Genus Cardamine
- Species pratensis
- Cultivar Wildflower of Britain and Ireland
- Common Name Cuckoo Flower, Ladys flower, Ladys smock, Wildflower of Britain and Ireland
- Other Common Names Bread and milk, Cuckoo bread, Milk Maid, Spinks, Spring cress
- Mayflower, Meadow cress, Cuckoo buds, Cuckoo spit.
- Other Language Names IR. Biolar gréagháin
- Hardiness Hardy Perennials
- Flowers White or pale pink in April to June
- Foliage Mid green, narrow long leaves
- Height 20-50 cm (8-20″)
- Position Partial Shade, Full Shade
- Time to Sow Late winter/late spring and late summer/autumn.
€1.86 EUR at time of publication Buy from Seedaholic
The Gardenista editors provide a curated selection of product recommendations for your consideration. Clicking through to the retailer that sells the product may earn us a commission.