Description from Sarah Raven
The best all round garden and flower arranging allium. ‘Purple Sensation’ starts to flower after the tulips in mid-May.
I’ll pick flowers and then beautiful green bead-like seed heads until the end of July and I use them to decorate the tree at Christmas – simply cut them, then dry and spray silver.
No early summer garden is complete without a good drift of these.
RHS Award of Garden Merit Winner
Perfect for pollinators
- Product Code: 260909 for potted bulbs
- Genus: Allium Variety Purple Sensation
- Type: Deciduous
- Soil Type: Well-drained but fertile, add grit on heavy soils
- Site: Full sun
- Height: H. 90cm
- Spacing: Plant 10-15cm deep, 10-15cm apart.
- Hardiness: Hardy
- Care tips: Remember these are very perennial so plant them somewhere permanent.
- Removing the tatty foliage doesn’t appear to affect the bulbs.
- Flowers: â May – June
- For the vase: Add a drop of bleach to the water to minimise the oniony smell or change the water regularly. They will
- look good for up to 2 weeks without rearranging.