Over the years, Remodelista editors and writers have come up with low- (or zero-) cost tricks to spruce up the house for the holidays, all with materials from around the house, plus bits and bobs found in the backyard, garden, or on a winter walk. Importantly, the ideas are natural, low-impact (often making use of scraps or fallen sprigs), and don’t involve buying more stuff to box away in the basement most of the year—and they’re evergreen enough to keep up all winter long.
Here, we round up our favorites from the archives (and from Gardenista), plus a few new ones:
1. Frond as Place Setting
2. Pine Cone Garland
3. Orange-Peel Ornaments
4. Blinged-Out Foraged Finds
5. Single-Branch Wreath
6. Brown Paper Packages Tied Up With Sprigs
7. Botanical Bottle Candleholder
8. Berry-Bunch Tree Topper
9. Vibrant Hanging Persimmons
10. Ethereal Ice Herbariums
11. The Easiest Branch Arrangements
For more winter decor, see:
- DIY Holiday Decor: Foraged Foliage Decorations in Designer Maria le Mesurier’s Home
- Christmas in Burgundy: At Home with the Expat Family Behind the Cook’s Atelier
- The Monochrome Holiday: 8 High/Low Design Tips from Tricia Foley
- 10 Favorites: No-Cost Holiday Decor Ideas
N.B.: This post has been updated; it was first published on Remodelista on Dec. 16, 2022.
You need to login or register to view and manage your bookmarks.
Have a Question or Comment About This Post?Join the conversation