Description from Wayside Gardens
Plant Patent #15,298. Cultivar name: ‘Bailmer’. At last, one of the most beloved and beautiful shrubs of temperate and southern climes has made its way north . . . all the way through Minnesota! This delightful Hydrangea blooms on both old and new wood, repeating reliably from early summer until fall, so late frosts don’t faze it! You can expect weeks and weeks of glorious color right through zone 4 in the north with Endless Summer®!
This mophead begins bearing its massive 8- to 10-inch flower clusters when the weather warms up in summer, and just keeps reblooming all the way into fall. Selected at a Minnesota nursery, it has amazing flower power – my 3 plants were still in full color at Thanksgiving here in South Carolina! The flowers are pink or blue, depending on your soil pH (acid for blue blooms, alkaline for pink) and are splendid as cut flowers either fresh or dried!
Endless Summer® owes its success to its ability to bloom on new wood as well as old. Many Hydrangeas are perfectly hardy in the north, but late frosts freeze out the buds and they never come into bloom. By repeating over such a long period, Endless Summer® avoids that problem, giving you color no matter how icy your spring turned out to be!
This vigorous, attractive little shrub reaches 5 feet high and 4 feet wide, just right for the foundation, a low hedge, or a back-of-the-border standout. Happiest in partial or dappled shade, it takes more sun in the northernmost portion of its hardiness range, and is very heat and humidity tolerant farther south. No matter where you live, you’ll love Endless Summer®!
Space these 2-year-old plants about 3 feet apart for a solid line of glorious color. Keep well watered, especially during the first few seasons, and you will be rewarded with blooms the first year and for many, many years to come! Zones 4-9.
- Genus : Hydrangea
- Species : macrophylla
- Variety : Endless Summer®
- ppaf : PP#15,298
- Zone : 4 – 9
- Bloom Start To End : Early Summer – Early Fall
- Plant Height : 3 ft – 5 ft
- Plant Width : 3 ft – 5 ft
- Bloom Size : 8 in – 10 in
- Additional Characteristics : Bloom First Year, Easy Care Plants, Flower, Needs Deadheading, Repeat Bloomer
- Bloom Color : Blue, Pink
- Foliage Color : Medium Green
- Light Requirements : Full Sun, Part Shade
- Moisture Requirements : Moist, well-drained
- Resistance : Cold Hardy, Heat Tolerant
- Soil Tolerance : Clay, Normal, loamy
- Uses : Border, Containers, Cut Flowers, Hedge, Ornamental