Description from Sarah Raven
Perennial Artichokes don’t come 100% true from seed, you will get slight variation in shape and colour, but from our selection of seeds you’ll get plenty of quick-cropping plants for your garden.
Gros Vert de Laon took me years to find. This rare, mid to late season, traditional French variety, has the largest hearts of any artichoke, hugely fat and delicious. Use the vast hearts in vegetable tempura, and dip the scales in Angelica’s sauce.
Perfect for bees, butterflies and other pollinating insects
- Variety: Artichoke ‘Gros Vert de Laon’
- Type: Perennial
- Product Code: 110020
- Quantity: 30 seeds
- Site: Need a well-drained, rich soil and full sun.
- Sowing: Sow under cover February – July. Plant out when roots fill a 9cm pot. They can also be sown direct in July.
- Height: 1.2-1.5m (4-5ft)
- Spacing: 60cm apart.
- Care tips: Cut them down to the ground in summer. May need staking in windy areas. May produce small artichokes in first summer but remove these to eat at golf ball size. Don’t allow them to grow to full size as they will hamper the development of the plant.
- Harvest: The harvest in the second year will be most prolific in July, but can be harvested May -October. Pick when scales are tightly closed to be at their best for eating or allow to flower if you want to use them in arrangements.
- Cooking Notes: Cut underneath the globe, and place in boiling water and cook for 40-45mins until tender. See below for a video of Sarah showing you how to harvest and cook globe artichokes.
- For the vase: Artichoke flowers are perfect for cutting.