I have a very serious vendetta against mosquitos and a few select summer insects, so I’ve decided to embalm myself in a force field of rosemary, catnip, lavender, and lemon; I suggest you do the same.
We spotted a recipe for bug repelling defense on Unplugged Sunday, and decided to give it a try. Armed with our jars of fragrant balm, we’re looking forward to lounging outdoors all season long.
Photography by Alexa Hotz.
- 1 cup dried calendula flowers
- 1 cup fresh rosemary
- 1 cup dried catnip
- a mix of olive and coconut oil (about 2 cups total)
- 1/4 cup beeswax
- lavender and lemon essential oils (about 10 drops each)
- double boiler/ saucepan and bowl
- liquid measuring cup and glass jar
- 4-5 lidded jars, such as 4-ounce Eco Mason Glass Jars
A package of six one-ounce Beeswax Bars is $12.99 from Amazon.
Allow the mixture to simmer for about 30 minutes to slowly heat up the oil.
For another herbal remedy, see DIY Miracle Cure for Allergies: Gentle Nettle Tea.