Sikes Dwarf Hydrangea Quercifolia
Sikes Dwarf Hydrangea quercifolia Oakleaf Hydrangea Shrub
Brilliant scarlet to burgundy fall foliage!
Blooms right down to the ground.
Pack a tremendous amount of three-season color (and interesting winter texture) into a very small space with this compact, well-branched, heavy-blooming dwarf Oakleaf Hydrangea. Offering full-sized blooms that turn from lime-green to ivory-white and finally antique pink, this shrub is a summer standout. But its brilliant fall foliage and exfoliating, furrowed bark keep it attractive right through till spring.
The flowers are dome-like and very profuse right down to the ground on this very heavy-budded shrub. The bottom florets open first, providing a skirt of pure white for the upper florets. A fully-blooming shrub displays all shades of green, white, and pink — a magnificent midsummer sight!
The foliage that gives this Hydrangea its name is large and many-lobed, attractive during spring and summer but really showstopping in fall, when it turns all shades of red from scarlet to burgundy. It remains on the shrub for several weeks before dropping, putting on a show to rival the Japanese Maples in your garden.
'Sikes Dwarf' is also suitable for containers. Just 3 feet high and about 4 feet wide, it fills large tubs, flowerpots, and urns beautifully, bringing color and texture onto porch and patio. Its bushy, dense habit keeps it looking full and fresh from spring through fall, unlike older varieties which can become a bit rangy. Bred by Sarah Sikes of Alabama, 'Sikes Dwarf' is a standout! Zones 5-9.
- Genus Hydrangea
- Species quercifolia
- Variety Sikes Dwarf
- Zone 5 – 9
- Bloom Season Mid Summer – Late Summer
- Habit Dwarf
- Plant Height 3 ft – 4 ft
- Plant Width 3 ft – 4 ft
- Bloom Size 8 in – 12 in
- Additional Characteristics Bloom First Year, Easy Care Plants, Fall Color, Free Bloomer
- Bloom Color Light Green, Light Pink, White
- Foliage Color Burgundy, Dark Green, Red
- Light Requirements Full Sun, Part Shade
- Moisture Requirements Moist, well-drained
- Soil Tolerance Clay, Normal, loamy
- Uses Border, Containers, Cut Flowers, Foliage Interest, Hedge
- Restrictions Canada, Guam, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands