- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: deep, fertile, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: slow-growing
- Flowering period: June
- Flower colour: golden-yellow male catkins
- Other features: useful as a windbreak in coastal gardens
- Hardiness: fully hardy
A rounded, evergreen tree with lance-shaped, dark green leaves and smooth dark grey bark. In June the new, silver-white leaves appear, along with the golden-yellow male catkins, followed in autumn by rounded acorns, either singularly or in bunches. An attractive tree which tolerates salt spray and strong winds, and is often seen planted as a windbreak or along avenues in coast towns.