This hardy native grass grows like Topsy and is exquisitely beautiful!
As summer is winding down and with it your beautiful blooming annuals and perennials, Pink Muhly Grass is springing up — giant puffballs of cotton-candy pink, so airy you expect a breeze to carry them away! An absolutely showstopping source of late-season color, this native grass is also effortless to grow and tolerant of just about anything Mother Nature throws its way!
The grass forms a nice little hedge, edging, or middle-of-the-border ribbon of color from spring through summer, but when the rosy-pink plumes arise on 4-foot stems, it grabs the garden spotlight! These plumes are so finely-cut they look airbrushed in. Perfect for indoor arrangements, they keep their color and texture beautifully outdoors as well, lasting through fall as the birds come to feast. Stunning!
Pink Muhly Grass reaches 4 feet high and 3 feet wide, with a nicely cascading, fountainous habit of foliage and fanned-out, unbelievably profuse blooms. Give it plenty of sunshine and good soil drainage, and it will do the rest, beautifully withstanding heat, humidity, drought, and poor soil!
Long-lived and impervious to pests and disease, this North American native is a must-have in the low-maintenance garden. Plant it en masse and enjoy the late-season color for years to come! Zones 6-10.
- Genus Muhlenbergia
- Species capillaris
- Item Form 4-inch Pot
- Zone 6 – 10
- Bloom Season Late Summer – Early Fall
- Habit Mound-shaped
- Plant Height 4 ft
- Plant Width 3 ft
- Bloom Size 4 in
- Additional Characteristics Bird Lovers, Bloom First Year, Easy Care Plants, Flower, Free Bloomer
- Bloom Color Pink
- Foliage Color Blue Green, Medium Green
- Light Requirements Full Sun
- Moisture Requirements Dry, Moist, well-drained
- Resistance Deer Resistance, Disease Resistant, Drought Tolerant, Heat Tolerant
- Soil Tolerance Normal, loamy, Poor
- Uses Border, Containers, Cut Flowers, Everlastings, Hedge, Ornamental
- Restrictions Canada, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, Guam, Virgin Islands