One of the many dishes that Chef J.W. Foster makes using honey from the four beehives he keeps on a terrace in his edible garden at The Fairmont Hotel in San Francisco is House Honey Bruschetta. Here’s his recipe:
House Honey Bruschetta (serves six)
- 12 tbsp Bellwether Creamery ricotta cheese
- 3 tbsp honey
- 2 small heads of crisp fennel, washed and sliced thinly
- ¼ small head of frisee
- 12 thin slices of walnut bread
- olive oil
- sea salt and pepper
- lemon juice
- In a mixing bowl whip ricotta and honey until smooth and allow time to refrigerate.
- To make crostini by toasting bread, preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spread bread slices on a sheet pan; drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt. Place in oven until toasted and crisp,. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- To make fennel salad topping, place fennel and frisee in a chilled bowl; drizzle with olive oil and juice from a lemon. Toss and season with sea sal and black pepper to taste.
- To serve, place a dollop of honey cheese on each slice of bread and top with a pinch of fennel salad.